As the country heads into a 21-day “lockdown” to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we’d like to remind our customers that Zylem is one of the organisations that is officially permitted to operate throughout the lockdown.
We remain operational
Zylem CC operates in the agricultural sector. As such, we are permitted to continue operating throughout the lockdown from 23:59 on Thursday March 26 to 23:59 on Thursday April 16. The nation still needs to eat!
We will be ensuring the continued supply of our biological fertilisers and our seed potatoes. We’re also taking measures to protect our staff, customers and suppliers and will be working remotely unless there’s a pressing need to go into our office.
Our primary business is three-fold:
- Formulation, manufacture and distribution of biological fertilisers, soil and foliar conditioners
- Contract farming and production of seed potatoes
- Laboratory services via Brookside Laboratories Inc.
Our contract suppliers are therefore critical to our continued operation, particularly our distributors, toll manufacturers, and seed potato growers.
Coping with COVID-19
We are so fortunate that our President has acted early and efficiently. This lockdown has been implemented to save our future. Here are some reminders and tips for coping with the threat of COVID-19:
- Be grateful if you are employed in an essential service sector (such as agriculture) and spare a thought for the many whose future employment hangs in the balance, such as the hospitality industry.
- Follow the rules; they are there for a very important reason!
- Don’t be selfish and panic buy; there is no necessity to hoard food and toilet paper. You are allowed to go to the shops and there will be sufficient supply available.
- When you do have to go out, be aware of personal space of 1,5 – 2 metres.
- Wash hands regularly for 20 seconds at a time using soap and hot water.
- Sanitise hands and all surfaces – particularly metal – as much as possible.
- Drink something hot every 20 minutes, or at the very least, remain hydrated with water of any temperature.
- Maintain an exercise routine.
- Remain in regular phone, video call, or skype contact with loved ones – family and friends, particularly the elderly, who are most at risk of isolation, loneliness and depression as a result of the lockdown.
Look after yourself!
We all complain about not having the time for self-development … and now many of us who have an enforced period at home have a chance to focus on self-care, as well as the hobbies and activities that make us happy! There are also plenty of free online learning opportunities available.
Now, more than ever, optimising immune health starts with adequate, balanced nutrition. However, ‘panic buying’ and ‘stocking up’ in advance of isolation may lead to people increasing their intake of more processed foods and reducing their intake of fresh foods, which could contribute towards a weakened immune system.
Here are some tips for eating well during lockdown:
- Retail outlets selling food and groceries will still be open, so include fresh vegetables and fruit on your list. Where possible, buy organic.
- Try not to rely too heavily on canned foods, microwave meals, packet sauces, packet snacks and processed meats.
- Base your meals on plants and include at least five portions of fruit and vegetables, which provide valuable nutrients that contribute towards enhanced immune functioning.
- You can freeze fresh fruit to add to smoothies, overnight oats and desserts.
- Stock up on nuts and seeds, which store well and provide co-factors for antioxidant enzymes like zinc, selenium and magnesium.
Get in touch – we’re here!
We will all be contactable on our cell phones and email during the entire lockdown period:
Justin Platt – 083 264 6816 – email@example.com
Gill Platt – 082 577 4040 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Brenda Coleman – 083 443 4161 – email@example.com
Estelle Schoeman – 082 443 3170 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Technical Junior Manager Nosipho Mbele is on maternity leave; for any technical queries please contact Justin Platt (email@example.com)
Find out more about our services and solutions: https://www.zylemsa.co.za/